First A Word From Our Sponsors...

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Catalonian Alchemy

Earthy tones, spicy, sweet, and nutty. Sounds like my girlfriend. It’s actually the wonderful flavor profile of a Spanish tradition. “Thick as pesto, the color of rust, textured with nuts and a bit of fried bread”-Amy Scattergood, LA Times. Romesco is undoubtedly a staple in many Spanish households, used as a condiment and sauce but add some grilled vegetables and you have yourself a great vegetarian meal. Great flavor and texture lend itself nicely to many dishes. From soups and stews to seafood and steaks, a good romesco is one of the ultimate flavor enhancers, not only for spanish food, but for all foods, it can really turn other styles of cooking into great fusion food.
So what exactly is romesco? It a sauce from Catalonia, Spain traditionally made from Nora or Cascabel peppers ground with garlic, almonds, spanish paprika, olive oil and sometimes hazelnuts and bread crumbs. Season it with salt and vinegar. Serve it as a dip or a dressing on seafood of poultry. The classic version uses Marcona Almonds and hazelnuts giving it a great balance of flavor and a velvety texture.
After making a quick romesco last Wednesday, I realized that the one I made was weak, missing major flavor components like the garlic, tomato, hazelnuts, and a good sherry vinegar. So I decided to try the recipe in the LA Times, It is awesome. I roasted the garlic along with the romas, toasted the hazelnuts and the almonds. I resorted to using canned spanish red peppers. The flavor was truly awesome. I tossed it with grilled shrimp and grilled spring onions, all I can say is Wow. Awesome, delicate balance of sweet and spicy. I can put this to so many uses. My girlfriend is so excited,so am I

1 comment:

Cheeky Kitchen said...

Sounds incredible. I've never heard of it, but love all the ingredients. Will have to play around with them! Thanks for the tip.